Those of you who are encouraging my startitis? I am doing vera vera well on my own.
When I finished Nuvem (post to follow, of course), it was the end of an epic battle. I had eyed Light and Up for weeks. The tassels are the star, as is the yarn. Then the Loopy Ewe had a Malabrigo update. (Does it count if I buy it, and then cast on within the month? I didn't think so.)
I had thought I would buy the colorway in the Ravelry entry, but I did not. Instead, I was seduced by Candombe. (I may be approaching my limit of wearable shawls that one knitter can knit. Fiddle dee dee!)
I have finished knitting the cabled band of the Irish Braid Hat. Now, kitchener must occur.
I know kitchener. 37 pairs of socks (more or less) x 2 socks = 74 kitcheners. Just putting my street cred out there.
So the instructions for the kitchener exercise in the pattern are the standard ones for stockinette. But the pattern has knits and purls in the final row. (It would be weird to violate this, and the pattern did not tell me to do so.) I picked up legs of the cast on stitches so that I have 28 stitches on each needle now.
So the ending needle, to repeat, has knits and purls in it. The beginning needle has some legs, with what looks like purl bumps below it. The directions state that the resulting seam should be invisible.
How can this possibly be so?
Yes, I have a lifeline in for when I first attempt this fruitless, doomed-to-fail task. (Why didn't the directions tell me to do a provisional cast on? Fail to plan, plan to fail.) Anyone have any wonderful ideas? Frogging to begin again is not one of those ideas. Am I doomed to a visible seam? (No, the newly published errata does not seem to address this issue.) Am I hearing the drumbeats of doom?
I had this very simple spinning goal for the year. Spin stuff that I had purchased prior to 2010. End the year either even, or negative in quantity.
I am holding my own at negative. Some of our usual suspects (IntoTheWhirled, FiberOptics, SouthernCrossFiber) lead me into temptation. But the easiest, most relaxing fiber pursuit ends up being time spent at the wheel.
I received ~8oz of Corrie/Romney cross as a gift, circa 2006. Ingrid Byrd (Ward Hill Farm) is the shepherd. She has lovely fiber, and lovely prep. Future 2-ply, for a woven throw, says the eternal optimist.
French CanCan is another ancient FO. Yes, the end that I wove in was lumpy. Yes, I blocked her into submission.
I remember doing the knitted-on edge. It was fun. The blocking done yesterday, was fussier than I would have expected. I tried threading a wire through the long edge. Wherever I tried, whatever stitch I used, managed to stretch out the holes into unacceptable disarray. I ended up pinning the top edge, measuring half way, then dropping down to pin that point as a reference. I smoothed the two long edges on either side of that point so that they had a somewhat symmetric belly on each. Then I left it to dry.
If this doesn't work as a scarf, it will be frogged (and made into the latest WoolyWurmhead hat) or gifted. It is too small for a shawl, and not drapey enough to pretend to be one. It refuses to settle about my shoulders in any fashionable way.
Pattern: French Cancan Needle: #7 (probably) KP Yarn: Wollmeise DK, colorway Ooohm Source: Loopy Ewe, circa 2013, which is also about when it was knit
Channeling the lust for yarn into barely controlled startitis is not an unreasonable compromise.
I need to be finishing (and I can barely stand to put it out there in public) Volt and Brando.
Instead, the Celtic Braid hat proceeds steadily. Eleven of sixteen repeats of the braid repeated. Na Craga needs work. (Twisty cuff sitting and waiting not so patiently on the dining room table.) Light And Up is winning the race currently, because, well, mindless. Like me.
Now? I want to start L'Enveloppe. It looks useful. Warm. There is some challenge involved (short rows, sewing, origami construction). I am trolling the stash, but stymied by not knowing how to figure the yarn quantity needed. (I haven't yet purchased the pattern.) Then I go back to the stash, and conjecture, then stop, because I don't know how to figure the yarn quantity needed.
Maybe something different will happen this weekend, (as in buy the pattern) and I will know how to figure out the yardage.
It has been a long week. I didn't even realize until mid morning that it is Friday the 13th today.
The date was February 15th, 2015. Was this the second blizzard? The third?
Yes, it was the third. At this point, I was thinking snowshoes as the only viable option for taking care of the home perimeter. But you know how it goes. There was not a decent pair of snowshoes to be had, on-line or in person anywhere I searched. (I am a good searcher.)
I pulled out my boots. My usual boots are Sorel Caribous. I have had the same pair for upward of fifteen years. They come up to low calf height. Put a snow shovel in front of them, and they are warm and dry. Last winter, however, was different. As you know.
Two or so winters before, I had purchased Sorel Glacier boots for women. I cannot remember what I thought I was getting prepared to do. They weren't used in the purchase year, nor in 2014.
I pulled them out last year, and started laughing, then took the picture. My Sorel Glaciers were COMPLETELY overmatched by the winter of 2015. When you clear snow to get to a part of the roof you haven't raked, and you sink to your crotch with every step, even Glaciers will not rescue you.