1. Knitting. First on this list, first in my thinking. Can I pack something complex or simple? What season of the year is it? How much yarn should I take for the project? I usually try to make sure I have cast on, so I don't have to bring multiple needles in different sizes. How do I transport my Chibi? How do I protect the metal DPN in the suitcase from bending? Planning knitting takes more time than planning clothes.
2. iPod, iPhone, noise-cancelling headphones, and their chargers. It is a gloriously technologic life, and this is part of it.
3. Kindle. This saves much room in the luggage. I also don't have to plan what books I want to read, with enough lead time to get them via UPS from Amazon. Freedom!
4. Bandaids and antibiotic ointment. You never know. Flesh-eating bacteria live everywhere. Carole is laughing, and she is wrong to laugh. If you saw what I see in my job.........
5. Fuzzy socks. Mostly in the winter, obviously. Very comforting.
6. Notebook or pad of paper. Lists! Planning! When the mind is freed on vacation, it is a place to dump the thoughts. No more need to remember the trivial.
7. Warm knitted hat. Again, winter.
8. Vitamin C. Helps ward off colds for me, if taken at the instant I notice the throat symptoms. 1 gram BID, keep hydrated. YMMV.
9. YogaPaws. I don't always use them, but that is not the point. I COULD if I wanted.
10. Dental floss. Oh so boring, and oh so necessary.
Sign at Park City coffee house (Atticus). Loved it!