Mr. Etherknitter does not like going to movies. I do not like that he does not like to go to movies, but I have learned to live with it.
We saw Skyfall last week. I love James Bond. I have been thoroughly uncritical in the past, plunking down my money in front of anything labeled 007 at the cinemas. Spoilers ahead! You can skip down to the picture which will mark the end of the spoilers.
- Adele wrote and sang the theme song. Beautiful!
- Daniel Craig. He plays the best bond since Sean Connery. I'm sure there is little debate on that.
- The new Q was very funny. Keeping the franchise fresh is a worthy goal. While I recognize that I am the only person in the universe, I can see why the producers would want to salt the screenplay with stuff to attract younger viewers.
- Lots of action! Great scenery in Scotland. Chases! Crazy bad guys!
- The script showed a more human Bond, with conflict, pain, and overt emotional baggage. That might even elevate him a touch above Sean Connery. But not quite. Connery was the Bond of his era. Craig plays in a different time, a different sensibility.
- Killing off M. Why? WHY?? I cannot find a convincing explanation on the interwebs.
- Javier Bardem was a really convincing bad guy at first. Then they had to make him crazy enough to be his own parody. Bleah.
- They blew up the Aston-Martin. I am so so sad.
Really? The movie review is only an excuse to send you to more YouTube links! You can watch the James Bond theme song, circa 1962, played on 45rpm vinyl by the original John Barry Seven.
Or you can watch the BEST documentary on the music of 007 through the past 50 years, including clips from the films, interviews with Shirley Bassey, John Barry and others. It is well worth the 21 minutes. It is here on YouTube (since the ads make embedding hard to watch).
Then we saw Lincoln over the weekend. The theatre was PACKED. I was very impressed. There was no sex in it, everyone knew the ending ahead of time, and it encompassed the dryness of history before all of us were born. People came anyway. At the end, I turned to Mr. E, and told him he had just watched the Oscar winning Best Actor performance for 2012. Go.
The picture shows a fun, floofy FO. KissKiss is the only funky scarf yarn that seduced my needles this year. Fast knitting, big impact, and I made one for me, too.