It's a blue funk, I tell you. It's the kind of blue that settles down around one like a mantle, a membrane that makes the escape efforts futile. Two years of busted cross-country skiing has become three.
We escaped to higher Vermont elevations earlier this month. One, two days of snow under our feet. A day of snowshoeing with Judy. (Her pond had started to melt. It was ethereally beautiful.) Then, temperatures in the 50s and 60s. Mud.
Getting back to the Inn on Tuesday, the Subaru valiantly maintained forward traction. Driving the cute little hatchback is fine for Boston commuting, but not so good for clearance during mudweek. We bottomed out three times, looking back to see what metal might have been left behind. The next day, we drove south to our favorite Inn for the second half of the week. I had to get out of the car to spot over the hill for Mr. Etherknitter, since the only passable spot in one section was on the far lefthand side of the road. In a second spot, I walked the ridges and ruts to see where the car might survive a passage. We bottomed out again, and made it to the Inn.
Vermonters describe their unpaved roads in one of two ways. They are either fine. Or closed. Two hours after we unpacked, the road was closed. We remained mudbound until the town regraded the road 30 hours later. The crosscountry trails were bisected by streams, mud, rocks, and glaciers. There was no skiing.
I do try to bounce higher up after a smackdown. There was lots of knitting time.
Snowshoes work where skis can't pass. The forest reveals her undergarments. Ferns stay green, and deer prowl. They find an unaccustomed winter buffet.
The snowballs lasted two or three mitten impacts. They disintegrated when he missed. Challenging, that. The mittens took a backseat to my laughter, and the nonplussed expression on his face.
Very Cabley Mittens, by Kelly Porpiglia
Lamb's Pride, color M26 (Medieval red), 2 skeins with lots left
Needles: #6 Plymouth dpns
Mods: I added an extra repeat to the pattern (60 stitches instead of 48). I increased the waste yarn stitches by 3 for a bigger thumb opening.
I like this thumb construction. I think the gusset looks more anatomic, but picking up stitches after the waste yarn stitches are made live left fewer gaps to close at the end.